According to many prominent sources (like earthquakecountry.org), the proper response to an earthquake is summed up in the 3 steps; Drop, cover and hold on.
In the off chance of an earthquake at 2020 K street, you should at once;
- DROP to your knees and hands. This position will keep you from being knocked down and best position you to crawl to safety.
- COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand
- If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath it for shelter
- If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to an interior wall (away from windows)
- Stay on your knees; bend over to protect vital organs
- Under shelter: hold on to it with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts
- No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands.
After the occurrence please stay in place and await emergency instructions.