Theft can be a problem in office buildings. Offices are normally unlocked during normal business hours and numerous delivery people and visitors are in the building throughout the day. Outlined below are several measures you can take to prevent thefts in your office:
- Keep all doors locked after you leave the office.
- Instruct employees to keep valuables, including purses, in locked desks when unattended.
- Keep calculators and expensive items off desktops when not at desk.
- Articles of value, including handbags and coats should not be left in unguarded reception areas or desks, even for a few minutes.
- Thoroughly mix the combination when closing a vault or safe.
- Do not leave the vault or safe combination on or in a desk.
- Notify the Security Guard or the Engineer when loiterers are observed in corridors or washrooms. Report peddlers and canvassers to the Engineer or Security Guard.
- Special care should be taken during times best suited for pilferage (i.e. thirty minutes after opening), during absence from work areas and office.
- Check wastebaskets at the end of the day to see if any equipment or other valuables may have been stored for later removal.
- Serial numbers should be recorded to aid police in recovering property in the event of loss or theft.
- Do not leave articles of value in automobiles in the parking garage.
- Lock suite entry door when entry area is unattended.
In the event that something is discovered missing from your office, please send a letter to Management stating the details so we have a record in our files. It is up to the tenant’s discretion as to whether the tenant desires to report the event to the police.